Browse the latest People Inc. and affiliate news, updates and press releases.
Weather-related or other closing updates for programs/services are available. Learn more
March is Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month, a time to recognize the achievements of people with developmental disabilities, promote inclusion and acknowledge the work that needs to be done to eliminate the barriers many still face. People Inc. encourages everyone to celebrate and recognize abilities all year-round!
Here’s how you can get involved:
1. Reach out. Our agency offers a wide variety of supports for yourself, a loved one with an intellectual or developmental disability or for someone you assist. For more information, contact our Admission and Referral Services Department:
Call: 716.880.3700 (Western New York) or 585.441.9300 (Greater Rochester region)
2. Learn. Our website, people-inc.org, includes lots of information – check out our Programs and Services section.
3. Become an inclusive employer. People Inc. is seeking new businesses to employ people with disabilities year-round. Our agency assists companies to create jobs around a person’s talents and interests. To learn more about how you or someone you assist can get employed through the People Inc. Supported Employment Program or to become a business partner, contact James Scutt at email@example.com or call 716.817.5750.
4. Follow our social media channels. Information will be shared on our social media channels all month long about developmental disabilities and the diverse accomplishments people make. Here’s where to find us: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube. Join us in spreading awareness by using the hashtags: #DDAwareness2023 and #DDAM2023
5. Practice inclusion. Be a friend, a listener, a teammate and welcome someone to your activities. Spread the Word: Inclusion, a national organization in partnership with the Special Olympics and Best Buddies, thinks the world would be better if everyone were included. Promote inclusion by signing a pledge.
• National World Down Syndrome Day on March 21: It is a day that the Down syndrome community creates for a global voice advocating for the rights, inclusion and wellbeing of people with Down syndrome. Learn more.
• Cerebral Palsy Awareness Day is March 25: Find out more about cerebral palsy.